Sunday, December 8, 2019

Arrowhead Lake Campground & Rec Center, IL - Lovely lake and trail, good times

1600 Peterson Ave, Johnston City, Illinois Website


The highlight at this campground off of I-57 in Southern Illinois is the lovely natural lake, that you can hike around on a wooded trail. It starts with a half-mile of gravel that is wheelchair-friendly. Then it climbs and at that point the park signs prohibit wheelchairs. Lucky me, I've got a great Mab who doesn't think twice about driving my wheelchair from the side. I can tell you it's a rare skill, walking and driving a wheelchair at the same time (while she's chewing gum!), and she rocks it, so we plowed ahead. The trail is in good shape - I think it was dirt and the beginning of fall leaves but I don't remember because I didn't write this up immediately - and we did the distance together without a problem. Great walk, and the longest I've been on for years.


Not a large campground, there were a few pull-throughs like ours available, small, paved, adequate but with plenty of distance from the others. Full hookup and water, with a dumping station near the entrance. Illinois has got a fabulous deal for seniors who are residents. We ended up paying $17, maybe less.


Near the entrance there's a cool little clubhouse and porch where the long-term campers hang out. It was fun trading stories and jawing with them. And in the morning waking up to the morning sun on a stand of trees across the field from us: I think I'm liking this camping vibe. We'll be coming back to Arrowhead Lake.

No comments:

Post a Comment